Layout and design of the book

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at jeroencoumans.nl
Sat May 22 09:01:56 PDT 2004

Archaic said the following on 22-05-2004 17:47:
> On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 11:59:41AM +0200, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>>It's for increasing readability and legibility. Why does everyone here
>>prefer to read condensed text which fills each page left to right? It
>>makes very dull pages and causes strain on the eyes.
>

> Because what you are missing is that many of us are NOT marketing types
> and such drivel as designbyfire is for marketing types. Our definition
> of efficiency is how much info can we get in a given space. The plain
> gray background took the experienced right where they wanted to go. We
> don't need a colorful user-friendly interface to a book because we
> aren't lemmings shelling out cash to buy drivel from a colorful website.
>
> Remember who used (and some still do) the blink tag. :)

It's not about marketing, it's about using design to communicate more
effectively by making it easy to read and comprehend the information
that is presented.

It has *nothing* to do with the blink tag (which is annoying as hell).

>>Also, there already was a long discussion about this very issue; please
>>read the archives.
>

> No fair! We called for a new thread to hopefully get more opinions and
> now you are saying read the threads they didn't want to read in the
> first place. Let's keep the playing field even, please.

Uh, that was about the font-type thing, right? I thought the whitespace
thing had been discussed plenty already.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans