udev problems

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Sat May 22 10:14:02 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> So, *without* regard to any particular implementation (i.e. ignore the
> fact we might be talking about udev, devfsd, or make_dynamic_devices.sh,
> etc.) I've just one question for the community:
>
> Should LFS configure & support dynamic devices?

Probably the best possible question you could have asked!

Now one for you.  What known LFS goals and policies are we to reference?
I chose http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/cvs/prologue/audience.html
Now lets take a look.

------------

Education = Depends..will the user learn more on his own by first using
static devices, or by learnig dynamic devices as taught in the book.

Compact/Minimalist = HELL NO!  Another package.

Optimized = No.  Another proggy running in the backround when a static
device would suffice.

And a couple of more questions....

So, now the question is wether education outweighs the other two goals
as I believe it does.   If so, then does dynamic devices take away from
education in comparison to creating the soon outdate static devices?
While I would really like to see dynamic devices supported, the answer
clearly seems the opposite to me.  I certainly hope this finally lays
the argument to rest.

-- DJ Lucas