udev problems

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 22 11:30:23 PDT 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:20:41 -0500
Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:

> You asked for opinions and you answer with what I perceive as sarcasm.
>
> Have you made up your mind?

The only sarcastic comment in that was the last sentence.  The rest was
deadly serious.  I always thought that an LFS system should be usable,
and I don't see anywhere in the book that mandates a user "MUST" go on
to BLFS to make their system usable.  If the goal of the book is to
create an intentionally broken/unusable system then that needs
addressing very quickly IMO.

The main concern I have about your proposal about dynamic device
creation being a BLFS topic is consistency.  What is so different about
those types of devices that mean that LFS shouldn't cater for them -
after all, it's not like they're uncommon in this day and age. Like I
said before, I believe all devices need to be treated equally. So, IMO,
they either all get created in LFS *or* they all get created in BLFS.  I
personally couldn't care less which book they go in.

Cheers,

Matt.