Layout and design of the book

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Sat May 22 13:01:14 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Oliver Brakmann said the following on 22-05-2004 15:55:
>
>> Is the poll broken? When I visited that page first, the votes stood
>> 3:3, the percentages were both at 42% (shouldn't they both have
>> been 50%?).

Yes, they should have, however the TWiki poll code apparently calculates
percentages based on the total number of people who have edited the page.

It was 42% because 3 out of 7 edits were in favor of one layout, and 3
out of 7 edits were in favor of the other.  What I don't know is why the
number of edits was 7, and not 6 (the total number of votes).  Maybe it
has to do with what TWiki does when a person votes twice?

>> I then voted for 'default', but the 'vote' count didn't go up, it
>> still stood at 3:3. What changed is the percentage, now at 37% for
>> both choices.

I don't know why that would have happened, but 37% is close to 3 out of
8 -- did somebody else edit the page without voting?

Now they're at 44% and 33%, with 4 and 3 votes -- which is 4 out of 9
and 3 out of 9 (total 7 votes, but 9 edits).

> I don't have any experience with TWiki's poll module (I just copied &
> pasted Anderson's previously created poll) but it seems the percentage
> count is broken. Strange indeed. The counts seem to be displayed OK
> though, except that your vote wasn't added.

Yep, the final tally is going to have to go by the vote counts, not the
percentages.