What is considered "development"?

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Sat May 22 14:53:05 PDT 2004

* Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> [2004-05-22 23:32]:

> I don't see that "keeping up to date technology-wise" has been mentioned
> in the wiki either
> (http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=WhatIsLFS).  The
> only arguments there are for package updates because they may provide
> bug/security fixes.  Maybe it was just my assumption that LFS has always
> tried to teach the user how to build a *modern* Linux system.  If this
> is the case, and it's a false assumption then I'd like someone to let me
> know.
>
> Thanks for any constructive comments people can make on this,

I'll answer by telling what *I* want out of LFS. In what follows LFS
means the LFS book, the hints, mailing lists and IRC.

* Education

I want to learn what makes linux tick, how a linux machine is put
together. I want to know about network support, devices, libraries,
esoteric commands, scripts: everything my brain can hold.

I also want to get so good at this that I can deviate from the book and
put my system together my _own_ way -- and be able to fix my own mess.

* An OS for my daily use

To go back to a regular distro, they'll have to drag me kicking and
screaming. I've been using LFS as the only OS I use to get work done on
a daily basis for three years now. As such, I want it to:

  - be rock solid (stable releases only, obviously)
  - be reliable
  - use the latest technology to get the most out of my hardware *and*
    to make my life easier
  - be "correct" (passes make checks, is reproducible, etc)

* A system that can grow to use the apps I need

Basically I want it to be compatible with BLFS :)

* A community

This could be seen as a bonus but I think it's actually essential to the
whole thing. The technical problems LFS faces are almost always bigger
than any one person can handle.

I hope this helps for the discussion.

--
Miguel Bazdresch