udev problems

Nick Fotopoulos weasel at beyondnormal.org
Sun May 23 00:19:57 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 15:12 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Because it is trying to educate.  It is "From Scratch" in more ways than
> one.  First you build a base of common things.  Then you add on.  The
> more advanced or modern capabilities are built on the base.  We provide
> explicitly for advanced capabilities  in the hints and BLFS.  I wrote a
> paper on building a DNS server based on LFS.  To be honest, I don't ever
> see adding udev to a server like that.  Its inappropriate.  Putting udev
> in LFS targets the book to a specific use: a workstation.  If that is
> what is desired, it reduces generality.
>
> I'm going to have to sign off for today.  the discussion is important,
> but I have other things I have to do, so I'm going to reluctanly shut
> down my email for a while.  I'm sure this thread will be much longer by
> tmorrow. :)
>   -- Bruce

While i'm sure you know exactly what udev does, it seems as though you
see udev as something that is used to strictly for hotplug devices.
i.e. External  drives, Digital Cameras, and other typically desktop
devices.  But of course it much more than this.  It creates, no, manages
all your devices.  How does that target workstations?  Because it has
the added benifit of being helpful to desktop users?  What ill effects
to you see udev having on your DNS server...?  How is it
"inappropritate"?

Nick