closure regarding udev

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Sun May 23 00:52:32 PDT 2004

Joel Miller wrote:
> I submit that ample time has passed regarding whether or not to include
> udev and possibly hotplug in to the next LFS release. The community
> obviously cannot reach a consensus. Furthermore, it seems as though
> every argument pro or con to the addition has been made, and made many
> times. I feel it is time for a decision in this matter so that it can be
> closed and we as a community can move on to other developement. There
> are only three options:
> 1) Continue to use make_devices.sh
> 2) Include udev but not hotplug
> 3) Include udev and hotplug
>
> Without agreement from the community, it falls upon Gerard or Matthew to
> make a decision here. Gerard being very understandably otherwise
> occupied, it would appear that only Matthew can decide this issue.
> Again, I think ample time (months) has been put towards resolving this
> and it is now time to move on.

There is one more argument to consider: the combination "udev " + "no
hotplug" + "modular kernel" is inherently broken, and that's what we
have in b6_0. I vote for either (1) or (3) or "(2)+ removal of
module-ilit-tools".

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .