closure regarding udev

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Sun May 23 02:32:37 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> createfiles can create any individual file needed at the time of boot.
> Right now, I use it to create the nvidia devices, because they don't
> export their info to sysfs yet, and vmware devices if I'm using it.

So it is a _temporary_workaround_ for drivers that don't export the
information via sysfs yet.

> modprobe the device by hand - I rarely use it, so I don't build it into
> the kernel.  I assume that when I load the module, and it detects the
> drive, it would send a hotplug event to udev for the device to be
> created, but I haven't tested that as of yet.

You are absolutely correct here. You modprobe the module, the kernel
sends the hotplug event, and udev creates the device. But it is rather
unfair to make our users to probe modules manualy.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .