udev closure

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 23 10:03:22 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> B) Add this to one of the initscripts:
>
> # WARNING: rejected by hotplug developers
> KERNELVERSION=`uname -r`
> MODLIST="`cat /lib/modules/$KERNELVERSION/modules.alias \
> /etc/modprobe.conf | egrep ' (char|block)-major' \
> | awk '{print $3}' | sort -u`"
> for MODULE in $MODLIST
> do
>     modprobe $MODULE
> done

OK, I have to ask this once again (please don't get upset, I just really
want to know): what is the point of compiling things as modules if you
are just going to load them all at boot time and leave them loaded? And
how will that work _at all_ if the hardware is not actually available at
that time, will it cause the initscript to generate any errors?