random seed initialization?

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Sun May 23 13:27:07 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> I've never had a chipset with a hardware RNG - don't you enable it in
> the kernel, and /dev/{,u}random will use that instead?  Or is there
> something else we're missing?

For the i810/i815 RNG (CONFIG_INTEL_RNG), the driver does export
randomness into the kernel entropy pool (however, so do other things, so
/dev/{,u}random do not *only* use that).  But it also exposes a
character device for reading entropy data directly.  It's a misc device
(major 10), at minor number 183.

I don't know for sure about the Intel/AMD/Via RNG (CONFIG_HW_RANDOM),
but the kernel config help entry says "provides a character driver used
to read() entropy data", nothing about feeding the kernel entropy pool.