HTML output: colors, fonts & spacing

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sun May 23 21:01:52 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 01:24:50AM +0200, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> IMHO, the command background and navigation background is too similar.
> How about this <http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/glibc3.html>? Still
> very neutral, pale & nicely complements the blue navigation bars.

Both look quite good, and if I've given either of you the impression
that I don't appreciate the work, my apologies. I will list what I like
about each comparing chapt6 glibc on both:

Jeroen

1. The color background extends down through dep list.
2. Commands stick out better with the border and indentation (but with a
   rather ungodly color).
3. "Important" sticks out better (but the color choice blinds me).
4. Larger font for "important".
5. The word "critical" being in bold.
6. Everything from "Contents of" and down are lite grayed.

Manuel

1. The package name being centered looks good.
2. Text showing on Prev/Next links.
3. Better looking important.png (less cartoonish).
4. The text for the meaning of options starts on the same line as the
   option (ex. --remove-destination), plus the bullet helps to make it
   stand out more.

I know some, like line height, are just simple values in the css, and
some are due to the XML markup (like bold "critical"), but I thought I
would mention everything that struck me.

--
Archaic

I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution
which grant[s] a right to Congress of expending, on objects of
benevolence, the money of their constituents.

- James Madison, 1794