udev question

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Mon May 24 20:23:29 PDT 2004

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
>> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>
>>> I have not been one of the early adopters of udev and am trying to
>>> get my arms around the technical details.  To do this, I took a look
>>> at LFS 6.0.  What is not obvious to me is why udev is in Chapter 5.
>>> What packages in Chapter 6 require udev to be compiled in Chapter
>>> 5?  Would it be possible to just do udev once in Chapter 6 if the
>>> order of packages was changed?
>>

>> Udev is in chapter 5 so we can use it to propogate the dev directory
>> in chroot in chapter 6 once we chroot.
>

> Does that mean that the host system has to have udev already installed?
>  -- Bruce

Nope.  It just needs to be running at least a 2.6.2 kernel, so we can
mount the sysfs filesystem.  We build udev into /tools, and use that
from inside chroot to create our /dev directory in chroot.  The only
requirement on the host is the presence of 2.6.2, because not all
devices were in sysfs prior to that point.

-J-