udev question

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon May 24 20:49:47 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> Does that mean that the host system has to have udev already installed?
>>
> Nope.  It just needs to be running at least a 2.6.2 kernel, so we can
> mount the sysfs filesystem.  We build udev into /tools, and use that
> from inside chroot to create our /dev directory in chroot.  The only
> requirement on the host is the presence of 2.6.2, because not all
> devices were in sysfs prior to that point.

Hmm.  Are devices needed for anything besides the tests?  It would seem
to me that the host's /dev/directory could be mounted to the chroot
directory tree for that requirement.  I wouldn't think that would affect
the purity of the tests, and it would simlify the "Populating /dev"
section -- possibly remove the requirement completely.

  -- Bruce