glibc/ntpl

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Tue May 25 00:27:43 PDT 2004

Uli Fahrenberg wrote:

>Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au, May 25, 17:00 +1000:
>
>[This is Bruce Dubbs':]
>

>>>Is nptl required in Chapter 5?  Could building glibc with
>>>--enable-add-ons=nptl --with-tls be delayed until Chapter 6.  Might
>>>save some compile time.
>>>

>>Ummmmm, did you kinda miss the point of PLFS along the track
>>somewhere?
>>

>Not sure what you mean, but maybe you misunderstood Bruce. I've been
>thinking (what I belive to be) the same, so let me rephrase:
>
>Could the Chap 5 glibc be installed with linuxthreads instead of nptl?
>This might enable us to relax the host requirements.
>
>uli

In theory it could, but we do NOT know how it would affect the purity of
the build, and it would not affect the host requirements.  We'd still
need a kernel running on the host that could support NPTL, cause we'd
need the binaries built in chapter 6 to work properly.

Building chap 5 with LinuxThreads and Chap 6 with NPTL I wouldn't want
to do without a full iterative test to ensure the build reproduces itself.

-J-