udev problems

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 26 22:24:23 PDT 2004

Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> Kevin had the box that wasn't running udevd, correct?  Kevin, I assume
> you have the same symlinks and kernel and whatnot, right?  There has to
> be *something* different between that machine and this one...  maybe
> klibc?  Don't see why that would affect anything, but...

Yep, this box is running LFS unstable from middle of last week,
including the first set of hotplug changes (but nothing after that). I
just verified that on a normal boot udevd is _not_ running.

However, this box boots in an unusual way; the kernel mounts a small
root filesystem off of CompactFlash, which starts up udev and some other
stuff so it can use LVM2 to make the _real_ root filesystem available.
After mounting the real root filesystem, it pivots over to it and runs
init (sort of like what an initrd does). During this time there is no
/sbin/hotplug (not until after the pivot_root happens), so it's possible
that your system is generating a hotplug event sometime earlier that is
causing udevd to get started, whereas on my system when that event
occurs it doesn't get started because I don't have an /sbin/hotplug at
that point.