Trouble with x86_64 and LFS

Andy Neebel aneebel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 11:29:00 PDT 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:41:17 +0200, ben dayan <ben.dayan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm having problems setting the Linux from scratch system on my Athlon64 system.
> The host system is Fedora Core2 with a manually compiled kernel
> 2.6.8.1 (I need this kernel version for support for my via-velocity
> onboard NIC).  I am following the test version of LFS-6.0 to the
> letter, except for modifying the specs file manually since the dynamic
> loader should be 64bit, and everything seems to be working pretty well
> until I try to run the 2nd pass of GCC.  I get an error saying that it
> cannot compile and if I am trying to cross-compile I should specify
> it.
> This seems pretty weird to me since my host system is also 64bit.
> Has anyone successfully built LFS on an x86_64 machine?  If so can you
> please note the modifications that need to be made to the specs file
> (and if any symlinks should be made -- i.e. /lib and /lib64 issues? ).
>  Also can you please post any way to create multilib support
> (compilation of both 64bit and 32bit apps.)
>
> I tried looking here:
> http://home.ix.netcom.com/~ejohns/glfs-amd64/toolchain.html
> but this seems to be based for 32bit host systems, and mine is 64bit...
>
> any and all advice is quite welcome,
> Thanks,
>
> Ben.
> --

If you want to build a true biarch system, you should look here
http://hilltop.bradley.edu/~aneebel/lfs-stuff/
I have been posting my notes on the builds that I have done, and there
is a set up there that contian the needed modifications to the 6.0
book for it to work correctly (or at least what I think is right)  I
know that a few other people on the lists and on IRC have built biarch
systems, so if you need other help, you may want to try on
#lfs-support to see if any of them are around.

Andy