Trouble with x86_64 and LFS

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Fri Oct 1 16:21:41 PDT 2004

ben dayan wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm having problems setting the Linux from scratch system on my Athlon64 system.
> The host system is Fedora Core2 with a manually compiled kernel
> 2.6.8.1 (I need this kernel version for support for my via-velocity
> onboard NIC).  I am following the test version of LFS-6.0 to the
> letter, except for modifying the specs file manually since the dynamic
> loader should be 64bit, and everything seems to be working pretty well
> until I try to run the 2nd pass of GCC.  I get an error saying that it
> cannot compile and if I am trying to cross-compile I should specify
> it.
> This seems pretty weird to me since my host system is also 64bit.
> Has anyone successfully built LFS on an x86_64 machine?  If so can you
> please note the modifications that need to be made to the specs file
> (and if any symlinks should be made -- i.e. /lib and /lib64 issues? ).
>  Also can you please post any way to create multilib support
> (compilation of both 64bit and 32bit apps.)
>
> I tried looking here:
> http://home.ix.netcom.com/~ejohns/glfs-amd64/toolchain.html
> but this seems to be based for 32bit host systems, and mine is 64bit...
>
> any and all advice is quite welcome,
> Thanks,
>
> Ben.

The only person on these lists that has been building for x86_64 and has
a rock solid build (that I am aware of anyway) is Ryan Oliver. He builds
via a cross compiled toolchain in chapter 5 (which incidentally looks
like this is going to be the next method of building for LFS too), I
believe. In his home directory are his cross-lfs scripts. It hink it's
www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ryan but I'm not completely sure. If you
search the lists you'll see Ryan's posts about it in -hackers.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182