network boot script & PPP

Laurens Blankers laurens.blankers at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 08:51:17 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I connect to the internet through a PPP connection. In order to start
that connection at boot time I have created a directory
'ifconfig.ppp0' under /etc/sysconfig/network-devices, a config file
called 'ppp' and a service 'ppp'. The service basically does:

/usr/sbin/pppd file $OPTIONS_FILE

The problem is that this never gets executed because the 'ifup' script
returns the following error:

Interface ppp0 doesn't exist

Which is technically correct, the ppp0 interface doesn't exist until
pppd creates it. But pppd never gets started because the interface
doesn't exist. A chicken-and-egg problem.

I can think of several workarounds, but I am posting this to the dev
list because I would like to now what the proper solution to this
problem is.

Sincerly,

Laurens