network boot script & PPP

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Sat Oct 2 23:44:37 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Laurens Blankers wrote:
>
>> The problem is that this never gets executed because the 'ifup' script
>> returns the following error:
>>
>> Interface ppp0 doesn't exist
>

> This is a failing that exists in the current network bootscripts; they
> can't handle services that create network interfaces in all cases,
> because they expect the interface to be existant before any service
> scripts are run.
>
> I think the simplest solution to this problem will be something like
> defining a "magic" filename that tells the ifup/ifdown script that
> this particular file is actually going to create the interface, and
> don't check for the interface existence until after the service has
> been run. Something like:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.ppp0/create (which would have
> SERVICE=ppp in it)
>
> However, this complicates the scripts a bit...

I've working on this today, I don't have this issue. I have both a
dial-in server and I dial out. I see the issue as lacking of
configuration information in BLFS for /etc/ppp.

BLFS needs to reference all the materials in the PPP howto especially
this information

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/x1188.html

So the issue is not the bootscripts, it's the way ppp is configured.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org
lfs at jg555.com