network boot script & PPP

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 3 08:36:55 PDT 2004

Laurens Blankers wrote:

> Oke, if Kevin and Nathan agree that ifup isn't for ppp that would be ok too.

I haven't used PPP in a while, but I don't see a particular reason why
ifup/ifdown couldn't be used for PPP interfaces as well (it's certainly
that way on RH/Fedora systems).

> However it would be nice if this could be documented, because at first
> glance it seems logical to thread ppp as a normal interface and it is
> likely that more people will run into this.

How about this solution (in ifup):

1) Get the list of services to be run for this interface.
2) Do the existing interface check _unless_ the name of the service
config file about to be run is "create".
3) Run the service config file.
4) If there are more service config files, go to 2.

For a situation like Laurens', he would just need to name his service
config file that creates the interface "create", and the problem would
go away. If he adds any more service config files to the ifconfig.ppp0
directory (to be run after creating the interface), they would need be
named so that they sort _after_ "create" in alphanumeric order.