udevstart in chapter 6

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Oct 3 18:41:13 PDT 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  we now run udevstart at the beginning of chapter 6.  Does this do any
> good ?  I've just (hopefully) followed the instructions and all I've
> got in $LFS/dev is console,core,fd,null,pts,shm,stderr,stdout.

An alternative is to create the following additional devices manually in
the beginning of ch6:

/dev/zero
/dev/ptmx

and create the rest with udevstart at the beginning of chapter 8. This
completely avoids the need of building udev in chapter 5, and has been
proposed back in July but rejected as "not needed":

http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-hackers/2004-July/001627.html

--
Alexander E. Patrakov