ppc cd available

Sébastien Maerten maerten.sebastien at laposte.net
Sun Oct 17 04:58:51 PDT 2004

OK, you asked for reports, here is a very preliminary one: wonderfull!

I will only be able to test on a G4 ibook, sorry, but I had to give my
G3 ibook back to Apple :(

Anyways, your CD booted fine, all seemed to work. I didn't go further,
did not even check what's there. At power down, I had two warnings and
one error. I will write them down the next time I try it (which will be
very soon). What kind of information do you want ? I'll provide it
kindly. Do you want to manage a database of machines / configs ?

As for booting on different machines, I've read a few things related to
the new debian installer on debian-powerpc. Maybe you can get
information from there aswell as from opendarwin's team I guess. Did you
know there's a yaboot list on penguinppc.org ? Though it's very low
traffic, there seems to be boot gurus there.

I need a usable os quickly, so I'll use your CD right now. Is your
building process an horrible hack or do you have scripts, aLFS profile ?
Could I ask you to include a dhcp client on the CD ?
If you have scripts or aLFS profile, I'd appreciate if you could send
them to me privately. Once I have a usable system ( LFS + emacs / teTeX
+ octave + X.org + gnuplot + thunderbird / firefox ) I'll be able to
spend much more time on both your CD and Ryan's cross building.
But let's go try it deeper ;)