ppc cd available

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 17 18:33:25 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 13:58 +0200, Sébastien Maerten wrote:
> OK, you asked for reports, here is a very preliminary one: wonderfull!
>
> I will only be able to test on a G4 ibook, sorry, but I had to give my
> G3 ibook back to Apple :(
>
> Anyways, your CD booted fine, all seemed to work. I didn't go further,
> did not even check what's there. At power down, I had two warnings and
> one error. I will write them down the next time I try it (which will be
> very soon). What kind of information do you want ? I'll provide it
> kindly. Do you want to manage a database of machines / configs ?

I know about the error warnings, but I really didn't spend any time on
this iso.  Just wanted to make sure it's bootable and the binaries are
usable on other systems.  It would definitely be a good idea to keep
track of machines and configs somehow.  I really need to get started on
some documentation.  Hopefully this week.

> As for booting on different machines, I've read a few things related to
> the new debian installer on debian-powerpc. Maybe you can get
> information from there aswell as from opendarwin's team I guess. Did you
> know there's a yaboot list on penguinppc.org ? Though it's very low
> traffic, there seems to be boot gurus there.

Thanks for the tips.

> I need a usable os quickly, so I'll use your CD right now. Is your
> building process an horrible hack or do you have scripts, aLFS profile ?

For now, all my cd builds are being done manually.  Will perhaps look
into scripting them as time goes on.

> Could I ask you to include a dhcp client on the CD ?

When I start building in earnest, I'd like to include all the stuff the
x86 cd has.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net