bootscripts suggestion regarding networking

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 21 12:20:04 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 16:10 +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > A suggestion that might be nice to add to the lfs-bootscripts package.
> >
> > It might be a nice feature to have the "network" script output the IP
> > address that it configured for each interface it brings up. I'm sure
> > most people will know what the IP addresses are, but there are cases
> > where this would be helpful to see right at bootup.
>
> Id prefer it NOT to dhcp AT ALL as none of my boxen do that.

I don't think that was ever an issue.  Gerard was just citing the cds he
uses as an example.  The point was to print the ip address in the
bootscripts regardless of which method a user employs to bring up his
network.  Correct me if I am wrong...

Just as a side note, the cds I build and release do not bring up a
network by default.  You have to run a script that walks you through
setting up either dhcp or a static ip. If you choose dhcp, the output of
"ip addr show eth0" is displayed after the device is configured.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net