Calculate PREFIX from subnet mask in bootscripts

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 23 22:43:58 PDT 2004

Steve Crosby wrote:

> I've a question about using prefix tho - how do you handle supernets?
>
> e.g. netmask of 255.248.255.242

The simple answer is: you don't. There is no simple way to aggregate
routes to "supernet" masks, so they aren't really supported much
anymore. Also, the elimination of class-based routing (no more "class
C") means there's no reason to aggregate smaller networks together any
longer, at least that's the theory anyway :-)

I'd be surprised if there was a situation where they were really
mandatory at this point (i.e. I'm sure there's another way to accomplish
what needs to be done).