LFS on TLDP

Uli Fahrenberg uli at math.aau.dk
Mon Oct 25 11:54:07 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess, Oct 25, 18:37 +0100:

> I think there are licensing issues with the TLDP.  TLDP want one of
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/.  Our current license/copyright
> text is at

> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/unstable/prologue/legalnotice.html

> Changing this, if it is indeed necessary and desirable, will require the
> consent of all current and previous contributors.

Excuse me if I missed some previous discussion on this, but to me it
seems that any change of license conditions only requires the consent of
one person: Gerard. IIUC he's the only copyright holder.

> I'm not sure how trivial (or otherwise) a process this will be.

Reaching Gerard is sometimes difficult :-), but otherwise changing the
license should be trivial. As James notes, this is completely opposite
to the situation with BLFS.

Another possibility of course is to have the LFS license OSI approved. I
don't know how easy *that* is though; I remember when the LaTeX Project
wanted the LPPL (LaTeX Project Public License) approved, boy what a
hassle. (And in the end they didn't.)

> In short, I don't think we'll be able to get 6.0 into TLDP due to this
> constraint.  As for future versions...who knows?

I agree with James here: Either we take care of always being up-to-date,
or we pull it off.

uli

--
Uli Fahrenberg -- http://www.math.aau.dk/~uli