LFS on TLDP

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Mon Oct 25 18:38:08 PDT 2004

On Mon, October 25, 2004 4:09 pm, Gerard Beekmans said:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 12:54, Uli Fahrenberg wrote:
>> Reaching Gerard is sometimes difficult :-), but otherwise changing the
>
> Not so difficult as you may think. I do read all you guys' stuff :) I
> just don't always reply to it (and it's urgent I always check my
> personal email all the time of course).
>
> I'll give this matter some thought and figure out what it means from a
> legal point of view, but I think that because it has my name on it, i
> get to do whatever I want without having to go through things like
> asking people permission to make license changes.

IMHO, and IANAL, once you accepted contributions from those other than
yourself, without gaining copyright assignment on those contributions,
those contributions are still copyright the original submitter.  This is
why MySQL, FSF, and others require copyright assignment on all
contributions to their open-source projects.

Matthew brings up a good point - copyright law is specifically written to
prevent "accidental" assignment of copyright to another party - see recent
Groklaw discussions regarding the copyright ownership dispute between SCO
and Novell for further info - I'm paraphrasing PJ's excellent discourse on
that subject.

As a current LFS developer, I also would not have any issues with changing
the license to something more OSI friendly - like Matthew has said, I've
always thought the Creative Commons licenses are a good documentation
license.

-J-