LFS 6.0 Book CD

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 1 20:02:07 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> I wanted to start a discussion on some open points with the CD that we
> want to put in the printed book.
[snip]
> There were some other notes brought up by me and others:
>
> 1. There is some discussion on the wiki about wanting two cd's in the
> book, one bootable with LFS specific stuff on it and the second
> non-bootable with BLFS book and souces on it.  I am of the mind to
> combine them into one.  Add all the BLFS stable stuff and nALFS profile
> to the LFS boot cd.  That way, once you finish the LFS book, you can
> easily move to BLFS and have the packages handy.  Comments?

This CD is to be included in the LFS-6.0 book, right?

If so, including the stable BLFS is pointless. Much of the
good stuff will be broken trying to build against an LFS-6.0
system. Plus, all the stable BLFS packages are way outdated.

And SVN BLFS is still got a ways to go to be compatible with
LFS-6.0. You decide, but including stable BLFS (or even SVN
BLFS) on the LFS-6.0 CD would be a mistake. There's simply
too much brokenness and untested stuff right now.

--
Randy