LFS 6.0 Book CD

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 12:32:05 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> All,
>
> I wanted to start a discussion on some open points with the CD that we
> want to put in the printed book.
>
> The wiki page at:
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BootCD
> Looks a little jumbled.
>
> Here is the list of elements:
> * lynx
> * wget
> * reiserfsprogs
> * xfsprogs
> * nALFS & dependencies
> * OpenSSL
> * libxml2
> * cURL
> * nALFS profile
> * X
> * Fluxbox
> * Firefox
> * svn client
> * dhclient
> * LFS 6.0 book
> * Source packages for all LFS and BLFS packages
> * scp & ssh
> * samba support for Windows Server shares
>
> I am not sure which of the above have been approved by the build team
> and are in.

I am not sure any agreement has been reached, and I would welcome
discussion.

There are two schools of thought here:
1) The CD should be a free standing system, that includes
all the bits that are needed to build LFS
2) The CD should be able to connect to the internet, other machines
and download extras

I am quite biased because of my environment, on an unreliable dial
up link.  I cannot download the CD; I would need to do that at
work/some other place.

I see no point of sophisticated hardware detection; the purpose of
the CD is solely to build an LFS system.

I have hosted a boot CD for three years now, upgrading it by
snail mail/cyber cafe; I am restricted by my 250Mb of
web space.  This is of no importance now, since the CD can carry
up to 600MB

It was me who suggested the extra source CD.  Downloading large
packages is a nightmare on a slow link.  Perhaps we should discuss
if is possible to add an extra CD, and what to put on it.  I would
like the currect versions of qt, KDE, teTex, emacs; and anything
that will run on an LFS 6.0 system, whose source tar ball is
larget that 5Mb

There are several of us doing parallel builds now that the book
is frozen.  Please add your ideas to the wiki. (BTW it is the
first time that I have used a wiki, that might explain my
jumbled comments)

For hardware detection I used devfs; but have now switched to
udev/hotplug.  I have sent a prototype to Matt to see if it
detects his ADSL stuff).  Here we may be speaking of different
things; all I want to detect are disks, network cards, and some
USB.  I have written that I see no point in detecting hardware
that is irrelevant to the build process; but please disagree
if you want