My resignation

Gregory D. Horne vic20asm at member.fsf.org
Thu Sep 2 19:26:53 PDT 2004

Matthias B. scribbled these words at Thursday 15 July 2004 12:41:

> The current LFS book is many things, but it is not a course. The current
> LFS book is more like a walkthrough that walks an experienced Linux user
> through the steps needed to create his own distro. So the current LFS book
> is much closer to LFS-D than it is to LFS-C.

I have used the LFS book exactly as you envision LFS-D. I used the book to
learn how to build a basic build environment from which I could then create
a distribution.

> The difference is hard to describe without having actual text for
> demonstration. I think "walkthrough vs textbook" describes it best. A
> walkthrough is more concise and presents steps in chronological order. A
> textbook is more detailed and rather than in chronological steps it is
> organized in topics ordered by educational criteria.

Agreed. Following the LFS book in "walkthrough" mode allowed me to
understand the sequence of steps required to build a basic functional
system and using this knowledge I created a set of scripts to automate the
build process, thereby allowing me to use LFS as both a learning tool and
as a roadmap.

> LFS-C for instance would first present a simple shell script as init,
> together with text explaining the Linux boot concept and init's role. A
> later (optional) chapter could present SysVinit in depth and teach people
> how to design their own SysVinit setups.
>
> LFS-D on the other hand would contain instructions for setting up SysVinit
> right away, with much less explanatory text and instead of general
> instructions on how to set up a SysVinit system it would present concrete
> instructions complete with sophisticated boot scripts to set up a useful
> system.

This would definately benefit both user communities: those who want to build
a system and those who want to learn the underpinnings of the system and
how everything fits together.