LFS 6.0 Book CD

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 3 05:03:58 PDT 2004

Chris Lingard wrote:

> James Robertson wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>I wanted to start a discussion on some open points with the CD that we
>>want to put in the printed book.
>>
>>The wiki page at:
>>http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BootCD
>>Looks a little jumbled.
>>
>>Here is the list of elements:
>>* lynx
>>* wget
>>* reiserfsprogs
>>* xfsprogs
>>* nALFS & dependencies
>>* OpenSSL
>>* libxml2
>>* cURL
>>* nALFS profile
>>* X
>>* Fluxbox
>>* Firefox
>>* svn client
>>* dhclient
>>* LFS 6.0 book
>>* Source packages for all LFS and BLFS packages
>>* scp & ssh
>>* samba support for Windows Server shares
>>
>>I am not sure which of the above have been approved by the build team
>>and are in.
>
> I am not sure any agreement has been reached, and I would welcome
> discussion.

That is why I started the thread :-)

> There are two schools of thought here:
> 1) The CD should be a free standing system, that includes
> all the bits that are needed to build LFS
> 2) The CD should be able to connect to the internet, other machines
> and download extras
>
> I am quite biased because of my environment, on an unreliable dial
> up link.  I cannot download the CD; I would need to do that at
> work/some other place.

I want both!  I would like the CD to be a pretty functional system on a
CD that provides all the pieces to build LFS on a box (without me having
to install a host OS on a partition first) including source, book and
automation tools.  If I need something while building, I want to be able
to connect to other boxes over a LAN to get or put files.  Hence my
suggestions of ssh/scp, ftp, nfs and samba.  There are many ways to do
that, so I wanted tools to fit many needs. I was not asking for full
Internet access on the CD.  I think that is overkill.  If you can
autodetect the NIC, load the mod and then get the DHCP client to get an
IP on a LAN, I am happy.

I agree with your issue of having only dialup at home (I am in that boat
too).  That is why I agree with your though of putting as much of BLFS
source packages on the CD as well.  I realize that the package versions
in BLFS change often, but not THAT often.  A good base to start from
would certainly help - or at a minimum would be a good start.  If we
don't want to include the BLFS book, I can understand that.  Randy made
a good point on that one.

> I see no point of sophisticated hardware detection; the purpose of
> the CD is solely to build an LFS system.

I agree.  Find as much hardware as needed (beyond the absolute basics)
to build the system.

> I have hosted a boot CD for three years now, upgrading it by
> snail mail/cyber cafe; I am restricted by my 250Mb of
> web space.  This is of no importance now, since the CD can carry
> up to 600MB

Right, and we have official hosting provided as well!

> It was me who suggested the extra source CD.  Downloading large
> packages is a nightmare on a slow link.  Perhaps we should discuss
> if is possible to add an extra CD, and what to put on it.  I would
> like the currect versions of qt, KDE, teTex, emacs; and anything
> that will run on an LFS 6.0 system, whose source tar ball is
> larget that 5Mb

See above.

> There are several of us doing parallel builds now that the book
> is frozen.  Please add your ideas to the wiki. (BTW it is the
> first time that I have used a wiki, that might explain my
> jumbled comments)
>
> For hardware detection I used devfs; but have now switched to
> udev/hotplug.  I have sent a prototype to Matt to see if it
> detects his ADSL stuff).  Here we may be speaking of different
> things; all I want to detect are disks, network cards, and some
> USB.  I have written that I see no point in detecting hardware
> that is irrelevant to the build process; but please disagree
> if you want

Right, agreed.

>>There were some other notes brought up by me and others:
>>
>>1. There is some discussion on the wiki about wanting two cd's in the
>>book, one bootable with LFS specific stuff on it and the second
>>non-bootable with BLFS book and souces on it.  I am of the mind to
>>combine them into one.  Add all the BLFS stable stuff and nALFS profile
>>to the LFS boot cd.  That way, once you finish the LFS book, you can
>>easily move to BLFS and have the packages handy.  Comments?
>>
>>2. There is some discussion on the wiki about what hardware is turned on
>>either directly in the kernel or as a module.  I personally don't care,
>>but would like to have the list documented somewhere on the cd that we
>>put in the book to look at (a README comes to mind).  Are we going to
>>get hotplug to work right on the cd?
>>
>>Thanks
>>James

Thanks