Some points to criticize about LFS

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sat Sep 4 03:40:13 PDT 2004

Bodey Baker wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Steve Crosby wrote:
>

>>Bodey Baker <bakerb04 at tartarus.uwa.edu.au> wrote in
>>news:Pine.LNX.4.56.0409011906400.11668 at tartarus.uwa.edu.au:
>>

>><snip>
>>

>>>have said. In that case if these things have been discussed else where
>>>can someone point me that way, or is it something you just get a feel
>>>for eventually.
>>>

>>try the URL below. Other excellent documents at the main site, The Linux
>>Documentation Project (TLDP) at www.tldp.org
>>
>>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html
>>

>:) forgot about that. The 'Audience' section of the book makes it sound
>like you should read one or the other and there is little point in reading
>both.
>
>I think the email 'Some proposals for descriptions of packages' by Gueven
>Bay in lfs-dev-request does a good job of describing how they fit and work
>together.
>
>btw. Theres a package freeze for 6.0, does that mean that the install
>instructions are stable and wont change much? I havent been able to find
>any indication of the LFS-6.0 release date, the website still says
>unknown, how long will it probably be?

Unless major problems are found somewhere, at this point you can pretty
much bet that commands will remain the same.  The usual process is once
version freeze is in place, there's a lot of test builds done, any
problems are resolved, and textual corrections to the book are put into
place.  I'd say we're looking at no more than 2 weeks for the release of
LFS 6.0.

The unstable release is, however, still moving forward - it's already
got a lot of deviation from testing (new glibc, sysklogd replaced by
syslog-ng, few other odds and ends things).

-J-