LFS 6.0 Book CD

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Sep 5 22:19:42 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 23:36 +0100, Chris Lingard wrote:
>
>>Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

>>>Please drop it, or make a note that Chinese never worked well with BLFS.
>>>There is even a note on the glibc page that LFS should not be used in
>>>locales which utilize multibyte characters.
>>
>>No.  If I can help spread Linux then I will do it.
>

> Um. I think Alexander makes a good point.  At the least we should
> include a note.
>
> But, remember, this is a cd for the LFS Book.  An English-only book
> right?  (Unless I missed a note somewhere...) So what harm is there in
> including only English tools for a cd that accompanies a book printed
> only in English?
>
> Am I wrong?

Partially. The rest of this paragraph is only my non-official opinion.
The book is printed in English. It officially supports all languages
that use 8-bit characters and left-to-right writing order (referred to
as 8-bit locales below) - so e.g. Russians are among the intended
audience, Chinese are not. We should include tools such as kbd that are
needed for our intended audience (we already do so). Also we should not
include non-working programs - or at least make a note in the README
file that we don't know if they work.

I certify that all programs included in the LFS book except Groff either
work both for the "C" locale and 8-bit locales, or don't work at all
even in the "C" locale (i.e. there are no locale-specific bugs for 8-bit
locales). The exception is Groff, as I said. I certify that it works as
a preprocessor for man for all 8-bit locales that have printable
characters in the same positions as ISO-8859-1. The PostScript and DVI
output is correct only in ISO-8859-1, but there is no way to improve
this. This problem is present in all Linux distros and mentioned in the
book.

> We could always do another cd useful to more people, although I admire
> your goal to reach out to everyone.

A good idea - one official 100% working CD, and one bigger CD with more
features but with even less warranty.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov