LFS 6.0 Book CD

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Sep 5 22:19:53 PDT 2004

Chris Lingard wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>

>>Chris Lingard wrote:
>>

>>>Also zhcon for Chinese support
>>
>>Please drop it, or make a note that Chinese never worked well with BLFS.
>>There is even a note on the glibc page that LFS should not be used in
>>locales which utilize multibyte characters.
>

> No.  If I can help spread Linux then I will do it.

Distribution of working programs is called "help". Distribution of
non-working programs only distracts people. While zhcon itself works,
you must take some care to ensure that everything else works in zhcon.
E.g., vim compiled without --enable-multibyte switch will be useless,
and you must have a wide-character version of ncurses. Also make sure
that the web browser you include on your CD displays Chinese text correctly.

For locales that utilize 8-bit characters and left-to-right writing
order, such care has been already taken by adding the "console"
initscript and setting LC_ALL. The only misbehaving program in LFS may
be groff - but I added a note on the groff page about the hackish
configuration (-Tlatin1). Of course, migration to groff 1.18.1 + debian
patch would be better. The rest of problems are in BLFS - but these
could be solved by just not installing problematic packages (e.g. Enigmail).

> Do you have a Russion translation of the latest 6.0 book.

No, I don't have time to write it. And I use Debian, not LFS.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov