Small remarks on testing ch 5&6: gzip, util-linux, udev, readline

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Sep 9 02:01:02 PDT 2004

On Wed, September 8, 2004 12:32 pm, Laurens Blankers said:
> I just finished chapter 6 of LFS 6.0-testing-20040905. Everything looks
> great, thanks for a great book!
>
> But I have just a few remarks:
>
> The current stable version of gzip appears to be 1.2.4, why does the
> book use a beta version?

The stable version of gzip has a security vulnerability, fixed in the
development version.  We used to patch the security vulnerability, but
testing showed that the development version was stable, so we use that
instead.

> Util-linux seems to ignore CFLAGS and uses its own optimilisation flags
> which are depreciated, resulting in output like this:
>
> cc -c -pipe -O2 -mcpu=i486 -fomit-frame-pointer -I../lib -Wall
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -DNCH=1
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DSBINDIR=\"/sbin\" -DUSRSBINDIR=\"/usr/sbin\"
> -DLOGDIR=\"/var/log\" -DVARPATH=\"/var\"
> -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\" -O2 -march=pentium2 -pipe pg.c -o pg.o
> `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
>
> Is it oke that util-linux ignores CFLAGS? Although not pretty I assume
> these warning do no harm?

No harm at all.  If you don't like the fact that Util-Linux ignores
CFLAGS, that's something to take up with the maintainer.

> The udev special LFS permission and rule files have different names in
> chapter 5 & 6. In 5 they start with 00 and in 6 with 25. Don't think
> that it is a problem, but is not very consistent.

They were moved in chapter 6 to allow for users to override our settings
with their own - for the chapter 5 enviornment, which is temporary only,
this is not necessary.

> In chapter 6 section 2 (kernfs.html) the final paragraph states:
>
> The mount commands executed above may result in the following warning
> message: can't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory. This
> file—/etc/fstab—has not been created yet but is also not
required for
> the file systems to be properly mounted. As such, the warning can be
> safely ignored.
>
> This seems to address a problem in the chroot environment, but these
> mounts are run outside chroot. May be the paragraph should be moved to
> 6.8 (devices.html).

Unless something has changed recently in testing, the filesystems are
mounted inside chroot.  The mount commands for these prior to chroot are
"fake" mounts to update the hosts /etc/fstab.  The real mounting is done
inside chroot.

> Changing permissions on the readline libraries in chapter 6 is done by a
> very broad command:
>
> chmod 755 /usr/lib/*.5.0
>
> May be it would prevent problems in the future if the command where more
> similar to the next one:
>
> chmod 755 /usr/lib/lib{readline,history}.*.5.0

Possibly - can you verify that this updated command will have the EXACT
same effect?

-J-