Layout issues

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 3 17:52:14 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 18:00, M.Canales.es wrote:
> IMHO, has nosense add the {beginpage/} tags until the final text & layout will
> be ready

That I understand. I was just wondering if I can commit it to SVN and
leave it there. I got the impression it might break the HTML renderring
or cause other problems. I mean to take them all out when the book is
final.

> Also IMHO, full justification is required for printed books.

True, but sometimes it really looks bad and it's preferable to not fully
justify a particular line. It's like having a one-line paragraph. They
don't get fully justified by default for those reasons.

> If you want a profesional look for that, first try to solve it rewordering the
> afected phrases, then let me alone some days with the final book to fix the
> remaining ones.

With wording it will certainly work up to a point. But like I said in
lists like the prerequisites it looks bad. I wouldn't want to use a
<screen> tag so line breaks are kept exactly as they appear in the XML.

So I thought if there is a way to insert a line break just like we can
do page breaks, it would fix the problems.

> > All URLs in the book should be renderred italics (aka cursive, or the
> > HTML equivalent of <i> tags).
>
> Also for HTML? This should be easy.

Sure that's fine.

> The equivalent is to use profiles also for HTML output. Then we can put
> something like:
>
> {para}Some text ... {phrase condition="html"}cut & paste{/phrase}{phrase
> condition="print"}careful type as printed{/phrase}...more text.{/para}

That sounds like a good plan. Go ahead and implement something like it.

> That is done at the master book layout level. The page break for sect1 can be
> disabled globally, in stylesheets/pdf/lfs-sections.xsl comment out the first
> template and try it. I dout that you agree with the global new look.
>
> I can try to drop the page break for specifics sect1 adding an attribute
> (maybe the "status" one).

I don't like it as a global change. It's just for a couple of short
introduction pages like in Chapter 2 and elsewhere.