Manuel -- outstanding layout issues

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 10 18:50:37 PDT 2004

This is all based on the PDF version. Some were mentioned before but
aren't fixed satisfactory yet.

-----

Prologue - Prerequisites:

The URL for the "Linux Users' Guide" appears on the same line as the
title. The URL has to appear on the next line like the other two
references. A line break has to appear there somehow. If not, I will
just add a bunch of   which may have the same effect, but then the
HTML wouldn't look too pretty.

-----

Chapter 2 - Creating new partition

Just a note: the URL was still causing problems so I used the new phrase
tags and in the pdf condition I typed out the URL and added a space
between the diretory and the filename itself. The result is
satisfactory.

-----

Chapter 3 - Packages and patches

On the packages page, "Flex" is split between two pages. The same
happens to the iproute db patch on the patches page. I tried adding
<beginpage/> but that didn't have the right effect. A new page was
created, but it inserts the pagebreak before the <variablelist>
eventhough the <beginpage> tag appears in the middle of it.

I have added empty <para>s to the preceeding entry which gives me that
extra line causing next entry appears fully on the next page. It's a
hack but it works, until <beginpage> can be used here instead.

-----

Chapters 5, 6, 7 and 8:

The titles don't fit on one line. Can we decrease the chapter title font
size by one or two points (but not more than two points) for just those
chapters and not change the font size of the other chapters and
appendices? If not, we can leave it the way it is. It's not terrible but
I wonder if decreasing the font size would fix that. The smaller font
won't really be noticed and would be acceptable.

-----

Chapter 7 - Udev:

The URLs in the "useful reading" section at the very bottom have to be
renderred like pointed out above for the Prerequisites; a line break
after the ndash, the URL on the next line.

-----

That's what I found during this round. Still doing more checks.