Manuel -- outstanding layout issues

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 11 03:31:45 PDT 2004

El Sáb 11 Sep 2004 03:50, Gerard Beekmans escribió:
> This is all based on the PDF version. Some were mentioned before but
> aren't fixed satisfactory yet.

Yes, before your last commint I has a list of 38 pages with layout issues ;-)

> Prologue - Prerequisites:
>
> The URL for the "Linux Users' Guide" appears on the same line as the
> title. The URL has to appear on the next line like the other two
> references. A line break has to appear there somehow. If not, I will
> just add a bunch of   which may have the same effect, but then the
> HTML wouldn't look too pretty.

I will see what can be done here.

> Chapter 2 - Creating new partition
>
> Just a note: the URL was still causing problems so I used the new phrase
> tags and in the pdf condition I typed out the URL and added a space
> between the diretory and the filename itself. The result is
> satisfactory.

Well, that is an alternative to harcoded de URLs split into the stylesheets
that seem more practical in that cases. The only issue is that it break the
pdfbookmarks when using Acrobat.

> Chapter 3 - Packages and patches
>
> On the packages page, "Flex" is split between two pages. The same
> happens to the iproute db patch on the patches page. I tried adding
> <beginpage/> but that didn't have the right effect. A new page was
> created, but it inserts the pagebreak before the {variablelist}
> eventhough the {beginpage} tag appears in the middle of it.

Are you tried to put the {beginpage/} after the {varlistentry} tag? I will
test if that work.

> Chapters 5, 6, 7 and 8:
>
> The titles don't fit on one line. Can we decrease the chapter title font
> size by one or two points (but not more than two points) for just those
> chapters and not change the font size of the other chapters and
> appendices? If not, we can leave it the way it is. It's not terrible but
> I wonder if decreasing the font size would fix that. The smaller font
> won't really be noticed and would be acceptable.

I will try it.

> Chapter 7 - Udev:
>
> The URLs in the "useful reading" section at the very bottom have to be
> renderred like pointed out above for the Prerequisites; a line break
> after the ndash, the URL on the next line.

OK.

Also, I will review that all external URLs point to their proper place, but
for the one to BLFS pages we have a problem. For the printed book, we need a
fixed location that point to a suitable BLFS version for LFS-6.0. Both
blfs/view/svn and blfs/view/stable are dinamic targets that maybe be not will
match the proper BLFS version when the LFS book will go to sales and after.

IMHO, we need a blfs/view/6.0 link that point to current blfs/view/svn until
BLFS-6.0 release, an them change the link to point to
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs-museum/6.0.

- --
Manuel Canales Esparcia
Usuario de LFS nº 2886:		http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/