Change kernel source to prevent hotplug?

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sat Sep 11 03:42:54 PDT 2004

Laurens Blankers wrote:

> In section 8.3 (of LFS 6.0-testing-20040909) the following sed command
> is given to change the kernel source:
>
> sed -i 's@/sbin/hotplug@/bin/true@' kernel/kmod.c
>
> The comment says that this is nessesary as to prevent the kernel from
> sending hotplug events when the system is not yet ready for them. But
> it appears, to me, that this line disables hotplug all together.
>
> Could someone be more specific on what this line does? Why is sending
> events to user-space a problem? And this solution requires someone to
> remember to change the kernel source when it is updated, wouldn't it
> be a better solution to symlink /sbin/hotplug to /bin/true?
>
> Laurens

No, this overwrites the default hotplug handler in the kernel - then
when userspace is ready, we set the hotplug handler to be udev by
writing it into /proc.  The reason for this is that the kernel can
sometimes generate hotplug events before userspace is ready for them
(i.e. before the ramfs is mounted to /dev), and this can interfere when
we actually try to start udev.

-J-