Runlevel 1 and /usr/local

Andrei Oprisan aioprisan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 09:05:53 PDT 2004

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:35:36 -0700, Doug Reich <dreich at hmc.edu> wrote:
> Another thing my experience brings up, is that if you're running grub on
> a multiuser system (I can't speak for Lilo), and you want to keep some
> of the users from accessing root, you'd better look into how to keep
> them from editing the "kernel" line on the grub menu. One could easily
> use the hack I did to boot the system into root, and then have full
> access to the system (once they mounted other filesystems, etc).

well, IIRC you can restrict the boot options that are being passed to
grub by specifying a password in the grub config file so that if
someone tries to pass or modify the default entries, they have to get
the password right.

--
You have just recieved an Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't
have computers, it is based on the honor system. Please delete all the