LFS-6.0: Package freeze

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 11 18:35:02 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 17:32 -0600, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 11:40, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> > This means that the cd to be included in the printed book can begin its
> > final build.
>
> I need to write up a page to be put in Chapter 1 that explains this CD,
> its contents, the fact it is bootable and can be used as a host system,
> etc.
>
> If one of you guys can write it up, seeing you know the CD best and its
> capabilities and features, that would be great.

Sorry this took so long :(
Ran into a couple of glitches.  How's this for a rough draft?

------------------------------------------->

For your convenience, a cd has been packaged with this book containing
the source packages you'll need to build Linux From Scratch and the
entire book in HTML format.  The cd is also bootable and provides a
known good working environment for building LFS -- what the book refers
to as a "host system."

In addition to the tools required to build LFS, the host system on the
cd has a number of other helpful tools installed:

X Window System Environment

Web Tools
* Wget (command line file retriever)
* Lynx (text web browser)
* Irssi (console irc client)
* Firefox (graphical web browser)
* xchat (X-based irc client)

Text Editors
* Vim
* nano

Network Tools
* SSH Server & Client
* NFS Server & Client
* smbmount(mount.cifs) for Windows shares
* Subversion

Filesystem Programs
* reiserfsprogs
* xfsprogs

nALFS - A tool for automating LFS builds

Anything else you want said there?  I think I got all the main extra
progs, if I've forgotten any, I'll let you know.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net