LFS 6.0 BootCD - A call for testers

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 12 16:48:50 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just wanted to announce that a pre-release version of the LFS 6 cd is
> available for download.  Of course, if you download the cd, realize that
> you have the responsibility to reply to this thread with some sort of
> feedback. :)
>
> We need to test this cd on as many sorts of i486 or better machines, to
> get an idea of its usability, so your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> The lfs ftp server admins, Justin Knierim and Tim Jackson, have been
> generous enough to host:
>
> http://mirrors.angelinacounty.net/mirrors/lfs-boot-cd/bootcd-6.0-
> 20040912.iso
>
> (Houston, Texas, US, 100Mbps - this url also works for ftp)
>

> ftp://ftp.lfs-matrix.de/pub/lfs-boot-cd/bootcd-6.0-20040912.iso
>
> (Karlsruhe, Germany, 100Mbps)
>

> You may want to check in the lfs-boot-cd dir itself on each of those
> servers, I'll be trying to add a bz2 of the iso which should reduce the
> file size by about 50 MB.
>

> Presently the cd includes:
>
> reiserfsprogs
> xfsprogs
> lynx
> wget
> nano
> dhcpcd
> nALFS & a working profile for LFS 6.0
> LFS 6.0 book in HTML
> gpm
> sources for lfs-6.0(testing)
> ssh client & server
> nfs client & server
> subversion
> irssi
> mount.cifs/smbmount
> Xorg
> fluxbox
> firefox
> xchat
>
> --
> I believe that's all the extras.
>
> Enjoy! And please let me know what you think, I'm sure there will be a
> few changes (hopefully minor!) before the final release.

If it is definately not the last iso, then 'which' should probably be
added as well (noticed it when I wanted to see if nALFS was in the path.
  Short of that it's running great.  I've not yet tested nfs or samba,
but hardware was detected correctly on two of my machines and things
seem to have gone without a hitch...the vectra hasn't seen the CD just
yet but I don't anticipate any problems.  Let you know how the build
went in a couple of hours on that PII.

Thanks!

-- DJ Lucas