Ch 5: Why both kernel headers?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 13 21:57:21 PDT 2004

Kevin White wrote:

> I'm confused as to why Chapter 5 uses both kernel headers (the real
> ones, and the sanitized ones), and Chapter 6 only uses the cleaned ones.
>  Can something be added to the book to explain why?

Chapter 6 uses the raw headers that are still present in /tools/include
after being put there during chapter 5. Nothing in chapter 5 modifies
those headers.

Chapter 6 does not copy /tools/usr/include (chapter 5 sanitized
headers), because by the time the right spot in chapter 6 is reached,
that directory already contains lots of other (unneeded or unwanted)
headers. This is why the sanitized headers must be installed again in
chapter 6, but not the raw headers.