Current testing does not validate

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 14 05:45:59 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 19:16, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> xmllint --noout --nonet --xinclude --postvalid index.xml
> index.xml:231: element phrase: validity error : No declaration for
> attribute conditon of element phrase
> Document index.xml does not validate
>
> Line 231 is the bottom of index.xml, so the error report doesn't exactly
> give me any hints on just what is wrong.

Here's a trick to figure out where that error is because that
index.xml;231 isn't very helpful. It's line 231 in one of the XML files,
not index.xml (the xincludes seem to mess this up in that xmllint
doesn't keep track of which file it actually is in).

Run the above command but slightly modified:

xmllint --nonet --xinclude --postvalid index.xml > processed.xml

You'll get that warning again, ignore it for now. Now run this:

xmllint --noout --nonet --postvalid processed.xml

Now the reported line number will be actually useful. You basically
created a nochunks version of the XML so xmllint's inability to keep
track of which xinclude file it's working through isn't an issue
anymore.