LFS 6.0 BootCD - A call for testers

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Sep 15 08:38:47 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:02:24 +0800
>!zealot <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>>

>>>Just wanted to announce that a pre-release version of the LFS 6 cd
>>>is
>>>available for download.  Of course, if you download the cd,
>>>realize that you have the responsibility to reply to this thread
>>>with some sort of feedback. :)
>>>

>>Well here's my feedback on the attempt to install LFS6 using the
>>bootcd. I managed to get as far as Chapter 6 - installing Grub 0.95
>>where I came to a screeching halt on a failure of the 'make check'
>>test.
>>
>>The relevant part of the 'make check' output is as follows:
>>
>>  make  check-TESTS
>>  make[3]: Entering directory `/sources/grub-0.95/stage2`
>>  ufs2_stage1_5 is too big (7336 > 7168)
>>  FAIL: size-test
>>  ==============================
>>  1 of 1 tests failed
>>
>>BTW, I'm using ext3 fs on the hdd, not ufs. Anyone know what this is
>>all about? Can I ignore this?
>>

>This is a known error, and nothing to worry about.  If you search the
>archives, you'll find where this was discussed.  Carry on!

Yes, but a sentence or two in the book about this known error would be
beneficial.  Something like:

Note:  The make check will always give the error "ufs2_stage1_5 is too
big."  This is due to a compiler issue, but can be ignored unless you
plan to *boot* from ufs partition that is normally only used by Sun
workstations.

  -- Bruce