LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 16 05:18:35 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 11:40 +0200, Nico R. wrote:

> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> [...]
> > 5) Added cvs - The book's instructions contains cvs commands in
> > chapter 3 on the packages page.
>
> Does anyone see benefit in adding svn (only the client!) so that people
> can get the LFS sources from the SVN repository?

Subversion (svn) is already on it. :) Has been from the first version.

> [...]
> > 12) Moved the cdrom mount-point to .cdrom and linked .cdrom/LFS-BOOK-
> > 6.0-HTML to / so that the book appears in the / directory, and the
> > cdrom dirs are hidden by default.
>
> I don't understand this one, and can't test the CD today, but never
> mind... If someone wants to enlighten me, though... ;-)

The root filesystem on the cd '/' is actually an initramfs, it exists in
your memory.  Some directories under / exist only in the initramfs and
get created at boot-time: dev, home, mnt, proc, root, sys, tmp, var. It
is done this way because these directories need write access, and of
course, a cd-rom is read-only.

The cdrom is actually mounted to a dir under / - from there you can read
its contents.  Important read-only dirs, such
as /bin, /boot, /lib, /sbin are actually symlinks to the real dirs on
the cd, so for example, /bin -> /cdMountPoint/bin

Originally the cdrom mount-point was /cdrom, I moved it to /.cdrom to
obscure it from user view, and made a symlink for the book on the cdrom
to the root directory, so users don't have to hunt for it.

Hope that explains it :)

I should be documenting more of the entire process when I get a free
moment.  Perhaps a hint, even.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net