LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

Nico R. n-roeser at gmx.net
Thu Sep 16 06:24:17 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 11:40 +0200, Nico R. wrote:
>>
>> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>> [...]
>> > 5) Added cvs - The book's instructions contains cvs commands in
>> > chapter 3 on the packages page.
>>
>> Does anyone see benefit in adding svn (only the client!) so that
>> people can get the LFS sources from the SVN repository?
>
> Subversion (svn) is already on it. :) Has been from the first version.

Great, thanks! :-) I hadn't looked at the CD, so didn't know about this
fact.

>> [...]
>> > 12) Moved the cdrom mount-point to .cdrom and linked
>> > .cdrom/LFS-BOOK- 6.0-HTML to / so that the book appears in the /
>> > directory, and the cdrom dirs are hidden by default.
>>
>> I don't understand this one, and can't test the CD today, but never
>> mind... If someone wants to enlighten me, though... ;-)
>
> The root filesystem on the cd '/' is actually an initramfs, it exists
> in
> your memory.  Some directories under / exist only in the initramfs and
> get created at boot-time: dev, home, mnt, proc, root, sys, tmp, var.
> It is done this way because these directories need write access, and
> of course, a cd-rom is read-only.
>
> The cdrom is actually mounted to a dir under / - from there you can
> read
> its contents.  Important read-only dirs, such
> as /bin, /boot, /lib, /sbin are actually symlinks to the real dirs on
> the cd, so for example, /bin -> /cdMountPoint/bin
>
> Originally the cdrom mount-point was /cdrom, I moved it to /.cdrom to
> obscure it from user view, and made a symlink for the book on the
> cdrom to the root directory, so users don't have to hunt for it.

Not that FHS conformant, eh? ;-) /media/.cdrom or /media/.lfscd in case
someone has more than one CD drive? ;-)

> Hope that explains it :)

It does, many thanks. Confusion swept away.

> I should be documenting more of the entire process when I get a free
> moment.  Perhaps a hint, even.

That would be great, too. If you are using some scripts (which I assume)
to build the CD, you could probably help others a lot by making them
publicly accessible (if you don't mind).

Am going to download the image file now. :-)
- --
Nico