LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Sep 16 14:37:44 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>> I did have to change some stuff to get it to not overwrite
>> /etc/resolv.conf when the PPPoE connection came up <...> but it
>> shouldn't be required for the boot CD.
>
> Right. In fact, the bootcd doesn't have a /etc/resolv.conf by default
> - the user is expected to set that up either manually or through the
> net-setup script.

Which makes sense.  Roaring Penguin sets it up by default to match
whatever name servers the PPP "server" tells it to use (actually it
creates a resolv.conf file under /etc/ppp, and then symlinks
/etc/resolv.conf to that file).  We probably actually *do* want that to
happen on the boot CD (since most DHCP clients also do something similar).

The net-setup script should probably prompt for a username and password
for the /etc/ppp/{pap,chap}-secrets and /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf files in the
case of PPPoE, though, right?  Hmm...