LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round - i18n

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Sep 16 22:24:52 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Thanks very much for your feedback and help testing! I think most of
> your suggestions and comments I was able to use :)
>
> There is a new iso available, bootcd-6.0-20040915.iso. You can find it
> here:
>
> ftp://ftp.lfs-matrix.de/pub/lfs-boot-cd/

Could you please make the following changes to ease life for Cyrillic
users in X?

1) Move all "fonts.alias" files to some writeable location, put symlinks
pointing to the new locations
2) Add some scalable fonts with good Unicode coverage, e.g. the
"freefont" package

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/ttf-freefont/ttf-freefont_20031008-1.1.tar.gz

Fonts from Ghostscript also work for Cyrillic users, but they have less
coverage.

Note that although Microsoft fonts for the web
(http://corefonts.sf.net/) work even better than FreeFont, you cannot
put them on the CD ready for use.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov