LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Sep 17 08:50:20 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>>>There is a new iso available, bootcd-6.0-20040915.iso. You can find it
>>>here:
>>>
>>>ftp://ftp.lfs-matrix.de/pub/lfs-boot-cd/
>>
>>I have tested this only remotely via qemu (due to bandwidth limitations
>>at home). Found a bug: the kernel has been apparently built without
>>support for hotplug.
>>
>>Sympthoms: after "modprobe rtc" there is no /dev/rtc. But when I run
>>"udevstart", /dev/rtc appears.
>

> Hmm. Looking at my .config, hotplug seems to be enabled, also you'll
> notice it's run at boot.

These are two completely different things. The coldplug initscript will
work even with hotplug disabled.

> Just tested on the latest version of the cd here. I plugged in my usb
> flash drive, and it was seen right away, module loaded, and device nodes
> written.  /dev/sda & /dev/sda1 were not present before.  After plugging
> in the usb drive, /dev/sda & /dev/sda1 are present.

Do you confirm the issue with rtc (or floppy, it behaves similarly)? Or
is it just a qemu artifact?

> Will build rtc into the kernel. Are there other tests we could try to
> just confirm all is well?

You should first make the cause of the problem absolutely clear, and
only then fix it (otherwise you just hide, not fix, the problem). I
really see two problems.

1) You are not using the latest isapnp coldplug patch, that's why floppy
and rtc are not detected. I have sent it to the patches list some months
ago, the patch has been ignored as unsuitable for the book.

http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/patches/2004-July/001481.html

Note that it contains a known bug WRT devices with more than one ISAPNP
ID - only the first ID is tried.

2) REAL PROBLEM: even when I manually do a "modprobe floppy" or
"modprobe rtc", the event is not delivered to udev (or mishandled in
udev) and the device node is not created. Please try changing the kernel
and/or udev versions to see if the bug goes away. You can even use qemu
to save time on rebooting :)

Also I have a question on the kernel quality in general. Do we really
want to ship the "stable" book with a kernel that contains a known bug
that prevents me from writing audio CDs, when an official patch is
available?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109309119620622&w=2

--
Alexander E. Patrakov